Mar 3 2013
Well. We have Audio 80, popularly – barrel. Engine 1,8. Carburettor. And also the intention to install the microprocessor ignition system in AUDI 80
There is a transistor ignition, via the distributor. Last time the troubles with ignition happened very often also there was a story with the wiring short circuit. That is why I decided not to recover the old system anymore and to create the new one instead. The microprocessor ignition system SECU has been delivered per post. The main components have been bought. Let’s go!
The igniters had been bought long before the parcel was delivered. They are already installed on the car on the homemade bracket. I installed them on the place of the standard ignition coil.
Instead of standard pulley I ordered the new one with teeth. Thanks to kind people who manufactured it.)) The pulley has 60 teeth. By the way, the holes for fastening on the standard pulley are a little shifted, that is almost inconspicuous for eyes. The meticulous Germans except all possibilities to install something wrong. ))) That’s why I had to work with a riffler on the pulley and fit the holes.
It’s time to install the SECU-3 unit into the passenger compartment. After long fittings and thoughts I finally decided to install it into the dashboard from the passenger’s side above the glove compartment. The relay and fuse unit I placed also to the right in well. At the same time I drilled the hole and inserted the bolt for the ground fastening. The wires from the engine compartment I brought via the standard hole in the driver’s well and under the stove to the right side. I bought stranded wires with section 1,5 mm2. I branched “plus” with two twisted wires from black box to relay (as a matter of fact this is the direct connection to the accumulator). “Minus” I brought directly to the accumulator. The switching of relay I made via the ground and ignition.
The ignition coil from an eight-valved Kalina I placed on the homemade bracket on the one side of the engine.
The spark plug wires hung loosely on the sparking plug heads, that’s why I improved them a little. I sawed them with a hacksaw ajoint and swaged. They fit very tightly.
To install the CKP sensor to tinker with the homemade bracket. To feet it more properly I decided to make of fiberglass. As far as I understand, the bracket should be made of nonmagnetic material. Aluminum, in general, is also available, but it is more comfortable to work with it in your garage. I upgraded my outdoors near the house that is why I tried to use the “domestic” technologies.
The fitting of CKP censor on the seat with the help of cardboard templates:
After long manipulations with epoxy adhesive and fiberglass we have this:
Installed on the place:
Connect everything according to the scheme and have something like this:
And of course we need to adjust the crankshaft and the camshaft corresponding to the marks of the first cylinder TDC. Now we need to mark on the pulley the tooth which shows the CKP sensor. It is easy to see on the picture that the sensor is installed angularly to the tooth (it’s bad, later you’ll understand why).
Now remove the pulley. Count twenty teeth clockwise. Cut off the 21th and 22th teeth.
Firstly the car didn’t start up. Besides I previously adjusted the unit indoors. I don’t have a laptop. Finally I needed to pull the cable extender outdoors and take my PC into the car. I had a lot of fun. I connected everything, adjusted the settings. I set the ignition advance. It didn’t start up again. I looked into the error log. It shows the mal-synchronization of CKP sensor. Most likely the reason was the angularly position of sensor. As soon as I found it out I tried to move the sensor to the pulley as close as possible. The car started up. Then I needed only to bring the vacuum hose to the cabin, to put way the wires and put everything in working order. As soon as the weather will get warmer I’ll need to make more precise adjustments.
Straight off I can say that the result was noticeable. The engine ran without any delay and responded the gas pedal immediately. At that moment everything was connected minimally. When the weather will get warmer I’m going to buy the CTS 19.3828 and install it instead of the current one. Or probably I can connect it via the separate T-branch. Also I plan to make the power valve control for carburetor and, possibly, I’ll also install the electric petrol pump into the fuel tank. Basically now we have advantages only. The main thing is the car started up successfully, all the rest is paperwork:-)
Radomir, Republic of Bashkortostan